How to Peel a Cactus Fruit (Sabara)

demonstrated by Abu Ramy

I'm sure not everyone is going to be caught in a situation where it would ever be necessary to know how to peel a cactus fruit, but, it's tricky and I figured it wouldn't hurt to document it. Also, it falls under my father's "areas of expertise" and I love learning his secrets. He happens to grow his own, but cactus fruit is also available seasonally from most ethnic markets or farmer's markets. You have to be super careful, as there are tons of tiny prickly thorns all over the skin.

Put the fruit in a large bowl or bucket and rinse thoroughly with cold water, trying to get rid of any loose thorns.
At this point it would be wise to put on a pair of thick kitchen or gardening gloves.
As you can see my father is a tough-guy and doesn't need gloves. Don't be a hero! Slice off one end of the fruit, about 3/4 of an inch. You will lose a little bit of the fruit this way, but the end is really tough.
Next cut off the other end the same way and make a slice through the skin, all the way from one cut-end to the other.
Peel back the skin and remove the fruit. Best if chilled before eating.

Store covered in the refrigerator. Enjoy!

Comments

  1. Excellent post. I want to thank you for this informative read, I really appreciate sharing this great post. Keep up your work… Arborio White Organic Rice You did the a great work writing and revealing the hidden beneficial features of click me “Nice Post. It’s really a very good article. I noticed all your important points. Thanks" dried fruits suppliers I agree with your thought. Useful information shared. I am very happy to read this article. Thanks for giving us nice info. Fantastic walk-through. I appreciate this post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts